What must I do if the child won't go on visits with the other parent?

In your child’s situation, you have an obligation to surrender the child according to the ordered schedule, which you hopefully have done.  You have an obligation to”tender” the child. In other words, get the child on the porch or present the child at the appropriate place, and then the other parent can encourage the child to proceed with the visitation.  If you think the schedule is inappropriate, you must go to court to modify the schedule. If you refuse to allow visitation, you could be held in contempt of the order, fined, possibly jailed and be ordered to pay attorney’s fees. Courts in the Dallas area have little tolerance for refusal of access to the child under a standard order. The upshot is that the older kids get, the more the child’s schedule and activities should be taken into account. However, the court also is concerned that the child spend extended time with both parents. There is no magic age at which the child may “choose” not to visit with the other parent. You should probably take the child to a counselor available on your health plan, which will help the child and provide necessary documentation for the court proceedings.

Call 214-373-9292 or contact us to discuss your concerns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *