Texas Legal Name Change

Texas Legal Name Change Laws

Question: As an adult, what is required to change my name?

Answer: A name change is available as long as you have not been convicted of a felony, are not now under indictment, not seeking to avoid creditors, the change will benefit you and is in the interest of the public. Texas Family Code section 45.103(a).

If you have a felony conviction, you may still ask for a name change, but must show, in addition, that your probation is completed, not less than two years have passed from your discharge or you were pardoned. It is then only at the discretion of the court. See the same statute, section (b).

Question: What is the process to change a minor child’s name?

Answer: Logistically, you would need to file a petition to change the name of the child. The name of a minor is something that requires the involvement of the father, even if he is not named on the birth certificate. In other words, you will not be able to legally change the child’s name without notice to him.

Frequently, this also involves the issue of determining the paternity of the child with a court order.